Saturday, April 2, 2016

Undertale

Undertale is a mini twist on traditional RPGs. Bit of a throwback to the old NES days basic RPGs with basic commands.

Some of the scenes that the game does are quite brilliant. You have a choice even when you think you're just watching something.

The art style was not appealing when I first saw the game, and no amount of screenshots would make me want to buy it. But... you tend to get over it then you realize how interesting indeed they make it in various areas.

The music was quite well done. A hint of 8-bit nostalgia, but never dull.

I played a pacifist play through but you can also go through an attack people normally. I wasn't that interested in doing a traditional play through. In a pacifist playthrough, you have to learn the enemies and beat them without killing them. It rewards zero EXP, but you get what seems to be the full money amount. I had quite a bit of money for most of the game.

I got stalled out on what looked like the last boss. It was just too tough to do all the dodging, and I didn't feel like grinding up healing items -- I wasted all of my money on a previous boss that seemed like paying for a debt was the "pacifist option", I was wrong and utterly broke due to that mistake.

I gave up and just started watching the rest of the game on YouTube. It was ridiculously difficult bullet hell game for quite some time. I'm glad I didn't bother. I didn't mind the meta gaming that was done, but going full bullet hell was too much for me to get through.

Also, the fights after what I thought was the last boss will haunt my dreams forever.

I feel like there were a lot of great take-aways from this game, but it was very difficult to finish. I'd recommend on picking it up just to see how they did the pacifist options to fights. It's slightly different per enemy, so it's a neat way of making you learn the enemies more than just sacks of hit points.

No comments:

Post a Comment