Saturday, April 2, 2016

Infamous: Second Son

I had only played the first inFamous on PS2 before this, but this game was really good. I read some of the wiki information to see if there's anything I should know, and if you didn't do that, you'd still be fine.

The story is solid, with meaningful and realistic characters. You're still given the "good or evil" decisions in the game, but I could actually see myself choosing the "evil" option for legitimate reasons that do not involve being a psychopath. I still choose the "good" option, because I usually don't want to see how dark something can go... also the powers for good were kinda nice (infinite speed running anyone?!) Also, it feels better and more impactful to get power-ups that let you slam bad guys into prone positions and incapacitate them, versus killing them faster/easier.

The powers were all tailored around the basic forms of combat. Since I am absolutely terrible at aiming on consoles, I opted for powers that let me shoot in general directions, then finish the take down with melee. This worked out quite well for most of the game.

The game has easy, normal, and hard difficulties. I managed to beat the game on normal, but it was extremely tough at some parts. Remember the part about being terrible at aiming on consoles? This is likely why.

The power-ups are much easier to get in this one than the first one. In the first game, you had to scale buildings and complete mini-quests. In Second Son, you have to find some armored vans surrounded by guards, and take out the van. When you do, you get a section of the city unlocked, and you get 5+ shards (upgrade points) scattered around the destroyed van. It's quite the improvement.

The interactivity in the game is almost too good. I constantly found my character trying to rail-run on edges, or pull himself onto ledges all the time. Since you will be wanting to do this for 99% of the cases, it's fine. It does seem out of place sometimes though.

The writing and voice acting was really good. You feel the connection you have with your family, and you are constantly at odds with your police officer brother. The character models were also really realistic looking, which was great to see a game going that direction.

The boss fights were incredibly hard on normal difficulty. I should have switched to easy. Seriously.

Overall, I really enjoyed the game. I did not dig that far into side quests aside from destroying vans for power-ups. I don't really feel like I missed anything, and with my limited time for playing games, I think this game was time well spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment