Thursday, December 22, 2011

Bastion

So, I picked this up on Steam a little while back, but only because it had 360 controller support. No controller support for a platformer/button masher means I will never own the game on PC.

Anyways, the game starts out good, introducing you to weapons one at a time, with an awesome, gritty narrator talking to you and about you as you travel and kick ass through levels.

I really liked the changing world, and the upgrades on the weapons, it kept everything fresh and new for the entire game. Having read the directions though, I was almost shy to upgrade since I wasn't sure if I would be screwing myself later (I literally upgraded Kratos' starting blades to max, and then saved all of the other red orbs until the final boss in God of War II, seriously). Anyways, go nuts with upgrades, but try to get a few weapons to max, and not just spread things around. I found the few that worked for me, and pumped the crap out of them.

There are also challenging mini games for each weapon where you will will prizes for using it as effectively as possible, but keep in mind that sometimes you need to upgrade the weapon to get the best score. There are also other challenges that reveal story and give you more points for upgrades, so double bonus there.

The story was really good, the narrator really breathed life into it, and the progression was well-paced. I would highly recommend picking this game up if you get the chance. Steam with a Xbox 360 corded controller or XBLA, either will do just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment