Thursday, August 22, 2013

Thomas Was Alone

This was highly recommended by my friend Austin, so I had to give it a try.

It started out simple, then adds complexity to show interdependence between characters.

Characters are represented by basic shapes (rectangle, square, taller rectangle, large square, etc.). They start to add more interesting mechanics as the game goes on, but nothing too crazy.

I completely agree with Austin's opinion on the voice narration, it's well done and helps draw you through the story. The game would not be the same without it.

I will say that it gets a bit tedious for my taste at times. I know that it's showing the interdependence between characters, but having to climb each stair with character switching is too much at times. Fortunately these are not the norm, but it does occur enough in the levels overall that it's worth mentioning.

My last complaint about the game is... why the hell are the save files in the registry. This makes no sense! Please use actual save file(s) like every other developer in existence.

That said, it was very enjoyable. Just about 3 hours and the game was done. I never got stuck, there were a few awesome moments, and good pacing overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment