Sunday, July 10, 2011

Defense Grid: The Awakening

Defense Grid is probably the best tower defense game I have ever played, and I loves me some tower defense games!

The game progressed very well, introducing you to new towers and mechanics as the game progresses. The voice acting is superb, and helps to lighten the mood. There are few things as gratifying as nuking the one straggler that got through your defenses with an orbital laser beam.

I did find myself leaning heavily toward concussion, gun, temporal, and cannons near the end, almost completely ignoring inferno, laser, and meteor towers, but to each their own. I'm love to hear how I could use these towers more effectively. I did start using tesla towers more when I realized they were great at knocking down the shields before they got to my fully upgraded concussion towers.

I am only two achievements from having all sixty-five achivements in this game if that tells you anything about how much I enjoyed this game.

Anyways, if you have a chance, I'd definitely recommend picking it up. Especially if you like turret defense games. I got mine on Steam, but it's also on XBLA.

UPDATE: I just finished the You Monster DLC for this game. It was fantastic, although a bit short. Each level added a nifty new mechanic that GLaDOS threw against you, restricting what you can build, while being a snarky bitch about it, removing towers she thinks are too useful, etc. I'd recommend picking it up. It only took me about 2-3 hours to finish it with a gold medal on each level, but they were fun figuring out how to win.

1 comment: