Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Firewatch

Picked this up for the video game of the month club thing we're doing at work.

The controls are intuitive, the graphics decent, and the story was compelling enough to keep playing.

I was surprised how well you could traverse the world being tied directly to the nav mesh -- no jumping allowed. It worked, and only when you got stuck on a tree did it feel even slightly awkward. I really enjoyed the mobility mechanics they used, it added physicality to your traversal in the world -- at least for the first time through a new area.

The voice narration was a very strong point, and it was great to see the decisions or indecision being responded to later on down the line. I didn't need branching story/dialogue to feel my choices were observed. I don't think my choices actually mattered in the overall story though. I should check on that later.

I'd have to recommend this game, if only because it felt like a story driven narrative done in a way I haven't seen before. It was an enjoyable experience, and only took maybe 6 hours to get through.

No comments:

Post a Comment